The Perfectly Imperfect Christmas Tree


 



If you know anything about us, you know that we absolutely love Christmas! Although it might be embarrassing to admit, we tend to start blasting the Christmas music shortly after Halloween...sometimes even before. Especially after having kids, the holiday spirit seems to explode in our home and hearts earlier and earlier. We love it all - the music, the lights, the TV specials, the food, the activities, the pajamas, everything! You probably think I'm crazy and/or have stopped reading this post by now, but I'm getting to the point I promise. 

Before kids, I tended to be somewhat of a perfectionist. Everything had to match and everything in it's place. The house was pinterest-worthy for a good two years after we were married. But then along came the children. Don't get me wrong, I love my children, but let's face it - there is zero perfectionism when it comes to them. One of our favorite family activities is setting up the tree. Getting out all the ornaments and retelling each of their special meanings and stories all while listening to holiday classics in the background on Alexa. We're far from Hallmark-movie ready though. We help the kids hang up the ornaments, however it always seems that they like to decorate in their own way. And I mean leaving huge gaps, clumping the majority together, and leaving the ugly ones dead center for all to see. Did I say ugly? I mean hand-made ornaments that a three year old made that are really very beautiful....at least that's what I tell my wide-eyed children. 

As I sit back and awe at our tree, I'm struck to notice the empty spaces that they missed. Or the branches that we neglected to unfold (we're not the Griswalds, we always use the fake tree). Or the clumped-together mess of all their favorites. But then my daughter comes to me with a huge smile and says "Isn't this the most beautiful tree you've ever seen?"

And I think to myself maybe that's what Jesus thinks of us too. When all we can see is the broken and empty pieces, He sees wholeness. When all we see is our hot mess of things we've been holding unto for too long, He sees beauty. One of my favorite bible stories is the woman at the well in John 4. While the whole world, and perhaps even herself, only saw a sinner with a failed past and messy future - Jesus saw a beloved soul. Someone in need of love and acceptance and eternal life. Jesus made Himself known for hanging out with the "less thans" and the "imperfects". Where the world sees worthlessness, He sees worthiness. Am I much different than the child-decorated tree in front of me? No. I am not. I am broken, somewhat empty, a tangled and complicated mess, and 100% imperfect. But the good news here is: Jesus loves us that way. Like my kid in awe of our tree, He says "You are the most beautiful thing I've ever seen."

So this Christmas season, let's not strive to be perfect. Let's appreciate the imperfect. In the hands of our Potter, our broken pieces are made whole. We can come to Him with emptiness and ask for Fullness. We can come to Him and simply acknowledge that we are imperfect beings that mess up...like a lot. But the only Perfect being was born this season in a barn (the least perfect birthing suite). And He loves and accepts you just the way you are. Some day I might have my Pinterest-worthy Christmas decorations back, but until then I'll proudly display my disarranged tree and say "It's perfect to me".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I want to break free

Trigger warnings

The difficult child