Repeat the sounding Joy!

 

 

Here we are, Christmas is 10 days away! As unbelievable as it may be, it is coming faster than we expected. I know I say it every year, but it really does pass so quickly. We've been in the midst of celebrating all things Christmas here at our house - the tree, holiday movies and specials, cookies, seeing the lights, etc. It can be easy, especially as a mom, to try and plan out the perfect Christmas. We see other's social media and we try to top theirs. "Making a magical and memorable Christmas" has overtaken "Enjoying Christmas". This morning as I was doing devotions with my toddlers, we talked about our favorite Christmas-time hymn - Joy to the World. The words are intriguing, exciting, and bring about a sense of hope and happiness every season. But what if things don't look very hopeful or happy this year?

In a year unlike any before, it can be easy to focus on all the wrong in the world today. We've felt like prisoners in our own house for the past 9 months, there's been political and social unrest separating families, and the pressures of working from home (or going into work) are mounting. The worries of catching the virus are overtaking our daily lives. I have two young children, each with their own learning delays and difficulties. My worries seem greater than my sense of joy this year. But as I was discussing what joy means, I asked my four-year-old what her most joyful memory was. I was waiting to hear about the time she got what she wanted for her birthday, or maybe the time we took her to the Paw Patrol universe at the Mall of America. But instead her answers were a bit more simpler than that. When I asked her when she was the most joyful, she answered "When I saw a beautiful butterfly. Or maybe when we found a ladybug in our driveway. Or the time we saw the park with the Christmas lights. Or when we have dance parties in the kitchen." It's amazing, isn't it? When we view life through the eyes of toddlers? They speak honestly and they see the best of the world. I let her help decorate the tree and to me - it looks disheveled and like the ornaments exploded in one section. But to her - it's the most amazing tree in the entire world!

Jesus was born into a broken and worrisome world also. But the king of the universe came to our world as a baby, who was placed in a manger. Literally the most lowly and simple of all places, He came to bring the most joy! In Luke 2, the angel appeared around the shepherds proclaiming "Do not be afraid! I bring you good news of great joy!" Do you think the shepherds expected to find joy in a barn? Do you think their first thought was a savior in the form of a newborn? I'm not sure, but I can imagine their shock when they discovered all these things. 

It's easy to be joyful when things are going well and it's easy to feel discouraged when things are not. But instead of focusing on the big picture perfectionistic things to bring us joy, maybe we need to start looking more at the small every day moments? Joy is practicing ballet with my four year old. Joy is playing tractors with my two year old. Joy is waking up every morning with a new opportunity. Joy is seeing Christmas through the eyes of a child. Joy is watching their faces light up with a new snow fall. Joy is reflecting on what we've all been through this year and that we are all still here!!! Joy is picturing that very first Christmas night many years ago when the shepherds discovered the baby in the manger. Joy is in the most lowliest and simple places such as the little town of Bethlehem. Joy is belting out at the top of our lungs "Joy to the world, the Lord has come!" 

May this bring you somewhat of a sense of joy this season. From my family to yours, we wish you a very merry and blessed Christmas!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I want to break free

Trigger warnings

The difficult child